Girl's Brother Pours Gas On Pile of Wood. She Lights It. They Both Die.
A 17-year-old girl celebrating her high school graduation and her older brother were killed after a two-story bonfire exploded Saturday night.
The Detroit News reports the 27-year-old brother, Christopher Blewett, had poured a large amount of gasoline on the wood around 9:30 p.m. and it exploded when his sister, Savannah Blewett, lit the fire, according to a release from the St. Clair County Sheriff.
The blast scattered wood up to 100 yards away and blew out the windows in the back of the home in the 6500 block of Gratiot Road, which was more than 100 feet from the bonfire, police said.
Fuel was poured inside and outside of the large bonfire made of wooden pallets and construction material. A trail of fuel led through the grass, which was where Savannah Blewett lit the fire, Sheriff Tim Donnellon told the News.