Can't lie: We don't feel even a tiny bit sorry for the me-first driver who parked in a traffic lane to pick up dry-cleaning Wednesday afternoon.
That selfish entitlement was illegal even before QLine streetcar tracks, and now can cost her $650 if the maximum fine is levied.
The downtown drama in front of One Campus Martius shortly after 4 p.m. was videotaped by Joseph C. Krause, founder of a four-year-old business called Backseat Detroit Tours.
"It's pretty hilarious," he says near the start of the two-and-a-half-minute recording (below), which Krause shares at YouTube and Facebook. It also went up Friday at Reddit, where comments include "The woman who parked there has a design flaw" and "QLine should be authorized to just mow through cars Mad Max-style."
We join the merriment by posting the scene above at our social media pages, where these are among caption ideas:
- But officer, my laundry is more important than folks trying to get home. Geez! -- Cindy Malewicz
- But I'm Detroit 2.0. -- Donna Gardner
- What trolley?! -- Karen Dumas
- I was only there for two minutes. -- John Carron
- But I'm not from these parts. -- James K. Warunek
- What do you mean I can't park here? -- Casey Whitson
- But that ticket costs more than my car is worth. -- Peter David
- Geez, why couldn't the QLine go around me? -- Karen Gibson
- I've been railroaded by the cops! -- Alan Harman
- Why would you build a train on a street? -- Alexander G. Stevens
► Your turn now. Show your humor and creativity below under "Comments."
In this video, the police arrive at 0:50 and the driver returns at 1:42.