Semper Fi: Hundreds of Marines Present Detroit Events, Starting Wednesday
September 5th, 2017, 7:49 AM
Uniformed military men and women are landing here on a strategic mission of promotion that may look a bit like an invasion. Still, they'll have choppers and military vehicles.
The five-day event, called Marine Week Detroit, starts Wednesday as "an opportunity for us to connect with metro Detroiters and show them what we do," Brigadier Gen. Raymond Descheneaux says in an announcement. He commands a task force organizing the annual community outreach program, held earlier in Cleveland, Boston, Chicago and four other cities.
About 700 Marines will "showcase the history, capabilities, pride and professionalism of the Marine Corps," a news release says. More than 80 free activities are planned throughout Metro Detroit, including these main public events downtown:
- Opening ceremony: 6 p.m. Wednesday at Campus Martius Park -- performances by Marine Band San Diego and the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon.
- Equipment displays: GM Ren Cen parking lot on Atwater Street, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and 9 a.m.-noon Sunday -- climb aboard vehicles and aircraft.
- Detroit River drills: Marine Air-Ground Task Force demonstrations will be staged at 2 p.m. Friday and 10:45 a.m. Sunday behind the GM Ren Cen -- see helicopter and reconnaissance Marines executing board, search and seize a barge. Pre-event performances (1:15 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. Sunday) feature Marine Band San Diego, the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon, martial arts trainees and canine units. A post-event rock concert is part of each show.
These are among other chances to engage with the Marines:
- 7 a.m. daily workout at Cadillac Square.
- 9 a.m. Wednesday-Saturday: Wreath ceremonies at the Spirit of Detroit statue (Woodward and Jefferson) with Gold Star families to honor fallen Marines.
- 9 a.m. Sunday: Remembrance ceremony at Hart Plaza to honor victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
The corps posts these two short videos, including one with a certain pitcher no longer wearing a Tigers uniform: