It's Detroit's state senator as we haven't seen him before -- a moment begging for caption creativity.
So we shared this Detroit News photographer's tweet Friday and invited social media followers to make a splash of their own:
Sen Coleman Young Jr, D-Detroit, takes the Legislative Polar Plunge, and "Cannonballs" in front of the Capitol in Lansing on Thursday afternoon. The event was held to benefit Special Olympics of Michigan. pic.twitter.com/j5ExSMjFqm— Dale G Young (@DaleGYoungPhoto) March 1, 2018
More than three dozen responses include a few salutes to charitable fund-raising by the 35-year-old legislator. "Hated him as a mayoral candidate, but I give him huge props for this," posts Catherine Roach of Hamtramck. Cody High graduate Adam Modelski comments: "I didn't figure him for a guy who would do something like this. Good for him."
Young didn't make much of a splash last year while running against Mike Duggan for the job his late father held from 1974-94. Now he's among eight candidates seeking nomination for the vacant U.S. House seat held by John Conyers until last December.
Five readers comment on the bath cap-wearing state senator's striking resemblance to this Detroit rapper shown at right. "I honestly thought that was Bizarre from D12," posts Ashley Aaron Taylor.
These are among other wisecracks on our Facebook and Twitter pages:
- Black socks in the pool are downright Nixonian. He should aim for the presidency. -- Robert Raible, Detroit
- An actual demonstration of his political aspirations. -- Brian Gagne
- Did he resurface? -- Peter Wilson, Detroit
- Tsunami! -- Cheryl Kohs, Detroit
- Seeing this, I understand why we are sometimes the laughingstock of the state! -- Craig, Detroit
- Late on the ice bucket challenge. -- Kathryn Burgess, Detroit teacher
- Dunkin no-nuts. -- Mike Carafelli, Brownstoiwn Township
- Free Willy! -- Matthew Marmalad, Fenton
- The Penguin in its natural habitat. -- Anthony Huddleston, Madison Heights
- Speechless. -- Ann Davis Garvin, Ann Arbor