As the Detroit Free Press food writer and critic, Mark Kurlyandchik has sampled a lot of meals this year. Twelve dishes stood out, he writes.
- Pepperoni pizza from Grandma Bob's: 2135 Michigan, Detroit.
- Grilled meats from Dearborn Meat Market: 7721 Schaefer, Dearborn.
- Beef back ribs from A.B.'s Amazing Ribs: 27310 Ford, Dearborn Heights.
- Baghrir (semolina crepes) from Warda Patisserie: 1464 Gratiot, Detroit (inside Trinosophes).
- Doner kebab from Balkan House: 3028 Caniff, Hamtramck.
- Crab cake from Table No. 2: Table No. 2, 18925 Livernois, Detroit.
► The full list.