You might recall that the media went all out to write about William and Lauren Powers of Farmington Hills, who owned two Guinness World Records-holding cats.
Well, the two famous felines, plus a third one, died in a November 2017 fire that destroyed their home. One cat was the tallest living domestic cat at 19.05 inches, and another had the longest tail -- 17.58 inches.
William and Lauren Powers, both osteopathic doctors, allege in a lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court in Detroit that a faulty massage chair was to blame for the fire. They seek more than $1 million from the chair manufacturer, American Crocodile International Group.
The case alleges they lost:
"Their home, hundreds of thousands of dollars in cryptocurrency, and two record-holding animals, among other things. Furthermore, among other injuries, plaintiffs suffered and continue to suffer acute emotional distress, and lost nearly a year of income as they recovered from the trauma."
"The cats were like children to plaintiffs," the filing states. "Their loss was and is a source of immense grief."
The suit also alleges that the couple lost wages because they were unable to work for months due to the trauma, and for nearly a year, they "experienced a loss of companionship, cooperation, and affection as a result of the fire."
The California chair company did not immediately respond to a comment request from Deadline Detroit.