Odd year elections typically come with little fanfare, but there are a few key races to watch today in metro Detroit and beyond.
- Warren mayoral: Will voters re-elect Jim Fouts to a fourth term after audio recordings purported to show him saying oodles of racist, sexist, and ableist (forgive us if we missed an ist) stuff? He's up against city councilwoman Kelly Collegio.
- Flint mayoral: Embattled Karen Weaver is running for re-election against state Rep. Sheldon A. Neeley.
- Clawson, Royal Oak, Troy, and Ferndale mayorals. Two open socialists and political newcomers are running for mayor and city council in Ferndale. Their campaigns focus on housing affordability in the developing city. Responsible development is also a theme in Royal Oak's mayoral and council races.
- Livonia mayoral: the city will vote for its first female mayor by day's end.
- Weed. Two downriver cities and Walled Lake will be voting on whether to allow licensed recreational marijuana facilities within their borders.