A 61-year-old man died on Detroit's east side Monday after allegedly trying to illegally hook up electricity to a house.
According to The Detroit News, the man was found in the midst of a heart attack with burns on his hands on Crane Street, near Mack and Van Dyke.
A preliminary investigation found the man "came into contact with a power line and fell out of a tree," DTE Energy representatives said in a statement. "Tools and devices commonly used in the theft of energy were found on the site."
"Anytime a person is hurt or killed in such a situation is a tragedy," the company said. "It’s important to note that energy theft is extremely dangerous.Tampering with electrical equipment exposes you, your family and your neighbors to the risk of electric shock, fire, explosion, injury or death."