Vaping continues to be a growing concern.
Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit announced via a media alert on Monday that doctors performed a double lung transplant on a man whose lungs were damaged from vaping. A press conference with the doctors is set for Tuesday afternoon.
The family wants surgeons to share the story and photographs as a warning to others, the hospital said. The patient is not identified.
On Friday, the Center for Disease Control posted on its webite:
Recent CDC laboratory testing of bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid samples (or samples of fluid collected from the lungs) from 29 patients with EVALI submitted to CDC from 10 states found vitamin E acetate in all of the BAL fluid samples. Vitamin E acetate is used as an additive in the production of e-cigarette, or vaping, products. This is the first time that we have detected a potential chemical of concern in biologic samples from patients with these lung injuries.
CDC continues to recommend that people should not use e-cigarette, or vaping, products that contain THC, particularly from informal sources like friends, or family, or in-person or online dealers. We will continue to provide updates as more data become available.