Metro Detroit has first-rate food offerings.
The James Beard Awards announced the 2020 restaurant and chief award semifinalists, which include Saffron De Twah, a casual Moroccan bistro on Detroit's east side, for best newcomer and Sister Pie's Lisa Ludwinski for outstanding baker.
Sugar House in Corktown is an outstanding bar contrender and Sameer Eid and Samy Eid, the father-son team behiund Phoenicia, Forest and Leila, are nominated for outstanding restaurateur, says the New York City-based organization named for a cookbook author and TV personality who died in 1985.
Other nominees released Wednesday include:
- Zingerman's Roadhouse in Ann Arbor - Outstanding Hospitality
- Lena Sareini of Selden Standard - Rising Star Chef of the Year
- Andy Hollyday of Selden Standard - Best Chef: Great Lakes
- Mike Random of Ima - Best Chef: Great Lakes
- Sarah Welch of Marrow - Best Chef: Great Lakes
- Ji Hye Jim of Miss Kim in Ann Arbor - Best Chef: Great Lakes
- James Rigato of Mabel Gray in Hazel Park - Best Chef: Great Lakes
Winners will be announced March 25 in Philadelphia. The full list is here.