Bill Ballenger and Dennis Denno, veterans of Michigan politics, discuss timely issues on "The Friday Morning Podcast," sponsored by Deadline Detroit.
- Democratic gubernatorial candidate Shri Thanedar catapults himself into serious contender status with a massive TV ad campaign.
- A national poll shows majority of Republican voters back stricter gun control. In Michigan, lawmakers debate arming K-12 school with personnel firearms.
- A "red flag" bill would let police and family members seek a court order to seize weapons from someone they fear might use them to kill.
- Another measure would tax ammunition with proceeds earmarked for school security personnel.
- Historic portrait-unveiling in the state Capitol honors civil rights hero William Webb Ferguson, the first African-American elected to Michigan Legislature (1893-97).