The Democratic presidential primary clown car is rolling through Detroit for the first of two visits this month.
Nine Democratic candidates are set to speak today at the NAACP convention downtown. They are:
- Cory Booker, U.S. senator from New Jersey
- Julián Castro, former U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- Kamala Harris, U.S. senator from California
- Amy Klobuchar, U.S.senator from Minnesota
- Beto O’Rourke, former congressman from Texas
- Bernie Sanders, U.S. senator from Vermont
- Elizabeth Warren, U.S.senator from Massachusetts
- Joe Biden, former vice president
- Pete Buttigieg, Mayor of South Bend, Ind.
And from a rival, sedan-sized vehicle, we have former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, who is seeking the Republican nomination against Trump.
Expect a lot of courting outside their speeches as candidates seek endorsements from high-profile Michiganders. The traditionally blue state went to Trump by fewer than 11,000 votes in 2016.
Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan yesterday formally endorsed Biden.
The nine Democratic candidates will be back next week for two nights of debates in Detroit. They'll be joined by 11 others you've probably never heard of.